Thursday, April 2, 2009

Must Have Newborn Supplies

Oh my goodness. I can't believe that I just figured out today how to type with 2 hands while breastfeeding. This should change my world. I breastfeed 5-6 hours a day, and I have not been able to use any of that time for blogging, which has been frustrating. I have a need to put my thoughts into words to stay sane. The lactation consultants tell me it's fine how much the baby's eating, that he's adjusting my milk supply to his ravenous growth needs. He was already back up to his birth weight at 10 days, so he's hitting his goals. Good job, Baby Q!

Life with Q is made easier by some kickass products that we love:

The Brest Friend. If you are breastfeeding and don't own this pillow, your life will suck. The Brest Friend snaps around your waist, providing a stable platform for baby to rest on while he's on your boob. Right now, Q is eating, and I'm leaning forward over him and typing. The Brest Friend makes this possible. Don't even think about getting a Boppy for breastfeeding, or you'll never get any blogging done! My laptop is resting on a TV tray. Here's a pic, taken from above, of Q conked out on the Brest Friend, loosely wrapped in his SwaddleMe.

iPhone Breastfeeding Application. Keep track of what side baby nursed on last and for how long. When your husband says, "What did you do today?" you can say, "I breastfed for 4 and a half hours." At first I kept track of this on paper, and it was ridiculous.  Who can find a pen while breastfeeding at 3 am?  It's so much easier to keep track on your phone.  

Swaddle Me. I'm sure there are other sleep sacks that work, but a friend loaned us her 2 SwaddleMes and we love them. The SwaddleMe is made of light cotton, so baby won't get too warm. We usually wrap another blanket over him to make sure he's warm enough, but the SwaddleMe is a great base layer that keeps baby's arms in so he won't startle himself awake.  (There's a microfleece version for winter, too.)  One great thing about the SwaddleMe is that you can unhook the bottom for a quick diaper change or diaper check in the middle of the night, and then you can breastfeed the baby right in the SwaddleMe. I don't do that too often, only when I'm desperate to make sure he stays asleep after he falls asleep on my boob. I like to let his little arms free. I just ordered two more SwaddleMes, so now I have four, since the kid seems to wet them every day. Damn diapers!!! (Or, damn bad diaperer- me.)

Medela Tender Care Lanolin. This feels so good when you're breastfeeding the first week and sore. I know everyone uses the Lansinoh in the purple tube, but the Lanolin goes on more easily because it's thinner. (Note, 1/5/13: If you have any soreness, find a good lactation consultant (or LLL leader) right away.  My soreness was due to the fact that I was not latching my baby properly.  An LC spotted my mistake right away and after I changed the latch, I had no more soreness or bruising.  If I'd know soreness was not normal, I wouldn't have needed the lanolin- I would have asked for help with solving the soreness sooner.)

Ocean Waves Soundtrack (on repeat). We use this to signal the baby it's night time, but in actuality, I think it helps me sleep, not the baby. I have the baby in a little bassinet by my bed. With the Ocean Waves track playing on the Bose speakers, and with my earplugs in, I can have the baby near me but not hear all of his teeny noises- just the larger ones that usually indicate he wants to eat or has a wet diaper. It is really, really important to sleep, so don't feel guilty about using earplugs. Better that than lose your patience and your mind because of sleep deprivation!

Gerber Thermal Blankets. I made a mistake and got the flannel ones, which are stiff, and when you wash them, lint gets all over your dark clothing. Get the THERMAL, also known as waffle weave. I love these blankies. They are soft and large enough for a swaddle. They're great for covering baby while he nurses in only his diaper, so you can get skin to skin contact while keeping him warm. They're only ten bucks for two, and if you want to splurge, get the organic cream colored one for ten bucks (in photo).


Books:
Nursing Mother's Companion. Best organized and easiest to read. Basic, informative, reassuring.


Heading Home with Your Newborn. Well-organized, with a practical, relaxed tone- by 2 pediatricians/moms.

I'm sure there are other great products, so if you want to leave a comment about your favorites, please do so!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

He is Sooooo cute!

Unknown said...

Hi Kristine, I'm loving your blog! Just had to add some of my favorite baby items: the Moby wrap sling (our baby lived in it for the first few months and he and I both loved it), Aden and Anais muslins (some of these are on their way to you!), the skip hop pronto (I wasn't into diaper bags, but this little kit is small and turns any bag or backpack into a diaper bag), and lily padz nursing pads (way better than disposables - if you want details lemme know). I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind at the moment... :)

Julie said...

OOooh Q is so cute! And thanks for all of the tips - I need them :)

Anonymous said...

Baby Q is adorable! You seem to be adapting to motherhood quite well. I love the product reviews. I wish I would've known about your breastfeeding pillow thing, I used the boppy. Although the boppy was great for tummy time when the girls were able to hold their heads up.

I miss you. Give Baby Q and Hubby our love!

Wendy

Kristine said...

No way, Laura! I've been coveting those muslins and just pondering what color... :) I never realized how useful blankets of all shapes and sizes are!
I did get the Skip Hop Pronto, and Deirdre sent me the Moby- I've been too scared/busy to try it though! I feel like I need an experienced Moby-er to help me- maybe at my Mom's group in two weeks I can get someone to help me!
And I will TOTALLY be researching the Lily Padz! If you have info to send real quick, that would be cool. If not, I'll figure it out!

Christopher Gabriel said...

Baby Q ROCKS! He is absolutely adorable...I'd say beautiful but years from now, he'll read this and be ticked off.

One thing Wendy will tell you: No one swaddles like I swaddled. And my dear Kristine, I was not using fancy (pancakes) swaddle-friendly contraptions. I learned Champion Swaddling at Methodist Hospital here in Minneapolis, quickly won first team All-American honors and began teaching adult education courses in swaddling.

I have the World and Olympic records for swaddling wrap-up time: 3.8 seconds.