Saturday, December 5, 2009

Ramblings After Wine and Apple Cider Martini

It is so good to hang out with other parents. Rather, it's good to hang out, and when you have a kid to tote along, it's nice when the other people have kids too. No, that's not what I mean.

I mean, it was so good tonight to see the moms and babies, and the husband/dads, who I know from our local hospital's moms group. We connected through our weekly meetings, and thanks to one of the more proactive women, have a group that meets every Saturday.

I can't say enough good things about these women. They are smart, funny, ambitious, generous. Warm, kind, energetic. Relaxed. Happy.

And to get to watch our babies grow up together is so much fun. I was enjoying myself too much tonight to take any photos. My baby was crawling around, the other babies were crawling on me, and I was busy making goo-goo eyes at other babies.

It's also really really fun to see the dads. In a way, this is men at their best. Their wives are happy, they have gorgeous children, and we're drinking together on a Saturday night. Seeeeeeriously. I'm a lucky person.


It's also helpful to me that all of these moms are back to work like I will be in a month. When I feel bad for myself, I can think, well, all of these girls are doing it, and rocking it. So can I.

OK, off to hang with the husband and baby!

If this were my journal, I'd write: we had some great conversations tonight despite the distraction of our crawling babies. Discussions of IVF, work.... that doesn't sound great, but I can tell ya, it felt good to talk. And I feel like we are all very open with each other, and maybe that's what feels good. In this life of being busy with work, and busy with taking care of home life, it's good to get out with other men and women and relax.

No comments: